Sunday, January 21, 2007

Searching

I should be finishing homework, but I can’t get this song out of my head. The song “Today” from Tom Scott and The California Dreamers: It was killing me, because I knew I had it somewhere amongst my collection. I started digging, looking up older albums, searching song titles, everything futile considering the fact that this needle wasn’t going to just appear in my stacks and stacks of Records, CD’s and Tapes. But just because something doesn’t work, I don’t stop trying in hopes it someday will.
I heard this song on the end of a Boondocks cartoon. It was the particular episode about Riley Freeman spraying graffiti around his neighborhood. At the very end of the episode, there is a police chase and that song played in the background. I love the scene, and the music choice was a perfect accent for creativity. So I watched the episode over and over. I put my ear up close to the speaker and made out these lyrics, “To be living for you is all I want to do”. It was clear, it was credible, and now I just had to find the song from whence it came from. Ha! This is easier said than done. Tons of sights claim they can find any song you want, even with the fewest possible lyrics. Bullshit. Every site I typed on came up with nothing. There was even one sight that claimed it could find the song just by tapping the rhythm onto the keyboard. I didn’t bother even trying. Finally though, I found the song. Thank the internet gods for lyricsfly. They produced the answer upon my first try. They earned a bookmark from me, certainly. Jefferson Airplane, from their second album, Surrealistic Pillow.I don’t really like this album, even though I stole it from my Father (before he gave me his collection, anyway) and I just don’t get the “five star” rating from AMG and the rank of #146 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums Ever, but whatever, it contained the song I was looking for, titled “Today”. The correct song, the wrong artist, though. I just had to find out who covered this song, and can you believe it? There is not a website solely dedicated to artist’s that have covered Jefferson Airplane songs. Come on, man. There is a site for ridding American currency of the dime, but not for what I needed. So I just kept typing things into Google, Yahoo!, MSN, and this goofy page came up. I should write to him and confirm his belief that the song is in fact, a Jefferson Airplane cover, but it did what I wanted, and now I have what I wanted. I just need you guys to go out and purchase me this album. It has “Today” by Tom Scott. I’ll burn you a copy when you do, okay? Thanks.

No comments: